Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Give Me A Break


I'm trying to figure out what about becoming a celebrity makes a person all of a sudden think that they are an expert at everything and that people should do whatever they say.

I'm only saying this because I have gotten tired of reading and hearing about all these "celebrities" championing various causes and ideas where they push their fans to believe exactly the way they do. Don't get me wrong, I believe that all people have a right to voice there opinions (it would be hypocritical for someone writing a blog to believe otherwise), but I don't believe that anyone has a right to tell others how to think, how to feel, and how to believe. This is especially true if you push the idea that those that think otherwise are lesser human beings than you, either directly or indirectly.

I subscribe to Facebook, Twitter and use to be active on MySpace. I follow many celebrities and non-celebrities and I regularly get to read the thoughts they put out into cyberspace. Some ask people to support certain causes or even their latest endeavors, but there are a few that seem to view their fans as a group of pseudo-disciples who are just waiting to follow their every thought and desire. This group (and no I'm not going to mention names) loves to push their idea of self-importance to the extreme.

Again, I believe in free speech, but some of these people remind me of the groups who go door to door looking to convert people to their religion: Some just want to share their stories and beliefs and invite you to their church while others want to tell you how wrong you are for believing differently than them. I don't mind the sharing but keep the righteous indignation to yourselves please.

What makes some celebrities believe that they know better than the rest of us? And why are many of us so quick to believe that they actually do? I don't mind supporting certain causes such as research for diseases, natural disasters and the like, but I do have a problem when it comes to being told how to think. This is especially true in the political and social arenas.

I've never supported a candidate or initiative because a celebrity told me too (although I may have thought twice if a celebrity I particularly disliked shared my same views). I've only given my support if we shared the same views from the start, which I have to admit has been quite rare. I really don't mean this to be about what people believe, because I have no business telling people what to believe either, just don't expect me to adopt your beliefs because you say so and definitely don't treat me like an idiot because I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment